Bad breath happens to almost everyone first thing in the morning, or after enjoying certain food – garlic fries, anyone?
When bad breath occurs on regular basis, it can start to hurt your self-confidence and it probably bothers the people around you too. If you’re experiencing breath problems often, talk with your dentist. The team at Whitmore Dental can help provide care and tips to help you.
Bad breath can be caused by plaque build-up on your teeth or on dentures or orthodontic devices. A metallic taste in your mouth can be a symptom of gum disease. With a dental cleaning and check-up, you’ll be on your way to fresher breath and a healthier mouth.
Other common causes
Other common causes for bad breath can include
- Dieting or missing meals. Saliva helps keep your mouth fresh and washes away bacteria.
- Dry mouth. Drinking 6-8 ounces of water a day keeps you hydrated and benefits your breath.
- Smoking, smokeless tobacco and alcohol all affect the breath.
Simple habits for better breath
- Brush for two minutes twice a day, floss once a day – great habits for your teeth and breath!
- A tongue scraper is quick and easy to use, and removes odor-causing bacteria from your tongue. Our Whitmore Dental team can add one to your take-home kit.
- Mouthwashes without alcohol or breath sticks can be helpful – take a look at the ingredients list. However, if the cause of the breath problem relates to your dental health, a mouthwash just covers up the issue.
- Remove and clean dentures, bridges, partial plates and Invisalign at least once a day.
- Hungry for a snack? Try carrots, apples and celery for crunchy foods that refresh your mouth as well.
Referrals if needed
Sometimes, breath odor can be a symptom of other health problems, such as diabetes. If we rule out dental or other routine causes for a breath problem, our team will refer a patient to a primary care doctor.
Has it been awhile since you had a dental cleaning or check-up? Take care of the health of your whole mouth and you’ll benefit your breath too. You’ll be ready for that next fun event.
Call Dee Dee and Janet today at 877-779-4486 to schedule an appointment.